Utah Loses To TCU in Overtime, 23-20

Save Story
Leer en español

Estimated read time: 3-4 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) -- Tye Gunn threw a 4-yard scoring pass to Michael DePriest in overtime as TCU beat Utah 23-20 Thursday night, snapping the Utes' 18-game winning streak.

Freshman Aaron Brown rushed for 163 yards on 17 carries in his debut for TCU (2-1), which rebounded from its loss to SMU after beating then-No. 7 Oklahoma to start the season.

Tied at 17 after regulation, TCU won the coin toss and elected to start overtime on defense. Utah went three-and-out and settled for a 34-yard field goal by Dan Beardall before TCU scored on its first possession.

Utah (2-1) lost for the first time since dropping a 47-35 decision to New Mexico on Oct. 25, 2003. The Utes entered the game with the nation's second-longest winning streak behind top-ranked USC, which has won 23 straight.

TCU's Chris Manfredini kicked a 30-yard field late in the third quarter to tie the game at 17.

TCU contained running back Quinton Ganther to mostly short bursts and smothered short passes. One week after Brian Johnson set a school record for pass efficiency against Utah State, missing on just three of 21 attempts, the sophomore went 15-of-30 for 208 yards.

He also threw his first interception with a reckless pass into double coverage. Marvin White made the pick for TCU, which scored on the ensuing possession when Robert Merrill's 3-yard touchdown run.

Johnson had better luck on longer throws, especially on third down.

Facing third-and-7 from midfield in the first quarter, Johnson threw a perfect pass over the shoulder of Brian Hernandez for a 45-yard gain. On the next play, Ganther scored on a 5-yard run.

Utah later set up its second touchdown after Johnson found Brent Casteel for a 15-yard gain, again on third down. The play put the Utes on the 4-yard line, and Johnson scored on a 1-yard keeper two plays later.

TCU had rallied within a field goal before Brown had his biggest run of the game, a 50-yard sweep down the Utah sideline. He was finally brought down at Utah's 10, and Merrill scored two plays later on a 4-yard run.

Brown was playing in place of Lonta Hobbs, who sat out with a groin injury. Hobbs had spent the first two game splitting time with Merrill, who finished with 16 carries for 58 yards.

Brown ran for 15 and 18 yards on his first two carries. In the fourth quarter, he hurdled one Utah defender and dodged several others for a 27-yard gain. It was the most dazzling play in an otherwise conservative countdown toward overtime for both teams.

Beardall added a 39-yard field goal for Utah, which had not had been involved in such a close game since beating BYU 3-0 on Nov. 22, 2003.

Casteel finished with four receptions for 77 yards. Cory Rodgers was the favored target of TCU's limited passing game, finishing with four catches for 52 yards.

Gunn was just 8-of-17 for 88 yards. The senior had thrown 81 passes in his first two games, but his three interceptions against SMU were a big factor in the Horned Frogs' letdown after beating the Sooners on the road.

Ganther had 47 yards on 22 carries for the Utes.

(Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

Most recent Sports stories

Related topics



From first downs to buzzer beaters, get KSL.com’s top sports stories delivered to your inbox weekly.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast