News / 

Layton Fire Department

2 people suffer minor injuries in early morning house fire in Layton

By Lauren Bennett, KSL.com | Updated - Jan. 12, 2020 at 10:26 p.m. | Posted - Jan. 12, 2020 at 8:11 a.m.


1 photo

LAYTON — Three occupants were able to escape their home after the basement caught fire early Sunday morning, according to authorities.

One woman, who was on the phone with 911 operators, wasn’t able to get out of the home at 2780 E. Summerwood Drive, but Layton police arrived on scene just in time to help her out of the home, according to Layton Fire Battalion Chief Jason Cook.

An occupant of the home awoke just before 6 a.m. to the smell of smoke and discovered the basement was on fire, Cook said.

“We actually had an officer try to go in there, he wasn’t able to get in,” said officer Cody Bowman of the Layton Police Department.

“I was out of places to check it was my last chance of finding her without getting engulfed in flames myself and when I kicked the window open she started talking to me,” said officer Mitch Porter.

Despite a language barrier, Porter was able to guide the woman through the window and into safety.

“It was major relief because when you saw the hand come out you know she was talking to us so then we were able to grab her,” Bowman said.

Two occupants, one man and one woman, suffered minor injuries and were transported to a local hospital and have been discharged, Cook said. However, the family's dog, a Dachshund, died in the fire.

Cook said the fire appears to have started from an older model space heater in the basement. The total damages of the fire are estimated at $450,000.

Firefighters were able to extinguish flames quickly and no authorities were injured in the incident.

Contributing: Heather Kelly, KSL NewsRadio, Garna Mejia, KSL TV and Jen Riess, KSL.com

Photos

Lauren Bennett

KSL Weather Forecast