Parents look for answers after autistic son chokes at school

Save Story
Leer en español

Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

ANNAPOLIS, Md. (AP) — A Maryland couple whose autistic teenager died after choking on a latex glove say they have concerns about the way the public school system handles students with special needs.

The Capital Gazette reports 17-year-old Bowen Levy died on Nov. 10, five days after he choked on a glove at Central Special School, which serves children with disabilities in Anne Arundel County.

His parents, Bryan and Tanya Levy, say a “medical team” told them Bowen may have been without oxygen for 10 minutes.

The parents say the county school system hasn’t given them clear information on what happened that day. They say they want the county Board of Education to be accountable for providing better supervision for students like Bowen.

County schools spokesman Bob Mosier declined to comment.


Information from: The Capital,

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Most recent U.S. stories

Related topics

The Associated Press


    Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the Trending 5.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast