Mexican federal prosecutors open probe of ferry explosion

Mexican federal prosecutors open probe of ferry explosion


1 photo

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

MEXICO CITY (AP) — Mexican federal prosecutors have formally opened their own investigation into an explosion on a tourist ferry last month that injured 26 people.

The Federal Prosecutor's Office says in a Tuesday statement that it is probing the Feb. 21 blast on the Barcos Caribe company's vessel as it was moored in Playa del Carmen with passengers nearby on the dock.

The ferry operated on the route between Playa del Carmen and the resort island of Cozumel. Barcos Caribe has been suspended from operating since shortly after the explosion.

Last week, what appeared to be undetonated explosives were found attached beneath another vessel belonging to the same company. Authorities said it was anchored 500 yards (meters) off Cozumel at the time and had not been in service for over 10 months.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Photos

The Associated Press

    SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

    Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast