Find a list of your saved stories here

Woman burned in hospital room dies of injuries


Save Story

Save stories to read later


Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

ALLENTOWN, Pa. (AP) — Authorities say a woman who suffered burns over most of her body when her gown caught fire in her Pennsylvania hospital room has died of her injuries.

The Lehigh County coroner's office said 66-year-old Val Cooper, of Williamsport, was pronounced dead shortly after 5 p.m. Thursday at Lehigh Valley Hospital, Cedar Crest. The death was ruled accidental.

Cooper's clothing caught fire Tuesday while she was on supplemental oxygen in a Williamsport hospital. Authorities say she had a lighter.

Nursing staff at UPMC Susquehanna Williamsport Regional Medical Center found her gown ablaze. A chair she had been sitting was also burning.

Fire officials said the blaze was started accidentally by the lighter. The woman smoked, but that's prohibited in the hospital. Her cigarettes and another lighter were stored in a lockbox.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Most recent U.S. stories

Related topics

U.S.
The Associated Press

    SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

    Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast