Estimated read time: 1-2 minutes
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
Smith’s Chef Jeff Jackson - Irish Shepherd’s Pie
For the Meat Filling:
2 Tbsp. Oil
2 carrots diced
1 med. onion diced
2 cloves garlic minced
2 lbs. ground lamb or beef
2 Tbsp. flour
1 c. chicken broth
2 Tbsp. tomato paste
¼ c. Worcestershire
1 tsp. each dry thyme and rosemary
½ c. each frozen corn and peas
Salt and pepper to taste
For the Potatoes:
2 lbs. Yukon gold potatoes
1 c. heavy cream
½ stick butter
salt and pepper to taste
½ lb. Irish cheddar shredded
*makes 1 13x9 casserole dish or 6 -8 mini pie
1. Put the unpeeled potatoes in a pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil for about 30 minutes or until fork tender, meanwhile heat the butter and cream in a small saucepan to melt the butter.
2. While the potatoes are cooking, preheat the oven to 375. In a large pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
3. Add the onions, carrots, and garlic and sauté 5 min. until the onions are translucent.
4. Add the ground meat and brown. Drain off excess fat. Stir in the flour until completely mixed.
5. Add the chicken broth, tomato paste, Worcestershire, dry herbs, salt and pepper.
6. Cook until it simmers and continue to cook about 10 minutes too cook out the flour. Add the frozen veggies and stir to combine.
7. When the potatoes are done, drain them and then return to the same pan to get rid of excess moisture. In the pan or large bowl, mash the potatoes and then add the cream and butter and stir until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
8. Either in a casserole dish or individual size baking dishes, add the meat mixture and then cover with mashed potatoes. Sprinkle on the cheese and bake 10-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and slightly browned. Enjoy.