Top Nevada Republicans smooth over school choice suit spat

By The Associated Press | Posted - Jan. 14, 2016 at 6:10 p.m.



This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

CARSON CITY, Nev. (AP) — Some of Nevada's top elected Republicans say they're setting aside their differences after a war of words last week over a school choice lawsuit.

Lt. Gov. Mark Hutchison said he'll suspend a lawsuit he filed on behalf of parents seeking a speedy court decision preserving Nevada's new Education Savings Account program. Treasurer Dan Schwartz was named a defendant.

Attorney General Adam Laxalt said he'll withdraw a motion to dismiss that suggested Hutchison was being unethical.

Hutchison said his lawsuit complemented ongoing legal efforts to defend the program, but Schwartz and Laxalt issued heated statements calling it a political move and a distraction.

The program offers parents state funds for private school tuition and was expected to launch in February, but a judge put it on hold indefinitely earlier this week.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

The Associated Press

    SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

    Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast