Estimated read time: Less than a minute
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
BERLIN (AP) — A German court says a 93-year-old former SS sergeant will go on trial early next year on 170,000 counts of accessory to murder over allegations he served as an Auschwitz death camp guard.
Reinhold Hanning is accused of helping the death camp run by serving as a guard there from January 1943 to June 1944.
The Detmold state court said Monday his trial will likely start mid-February and sessions will be limited to two hours a day in deference to his age and health.
Defense attorney Johannes Salmen didn't immediately return a call for comment. He's previously said his client acknowledges serving at the Auschwitz I part of the camp complex, but denies serving at the Birkenau section, where most of its 1.1 million victims were killed.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.