News / 

2 California beaches reopens after shark leads to closure

By The Associated Press | Posted - Aug. 21, 2015 at 2:21 p.m.



This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

HUNTINGTON BEACH, Calif. (AP) — The waters off two popular Southern California beaches have reopened after a shark aggressively bumped a surfer's board and led to the closure.

A dispatcher with Newport Beach Fire and Lifeguard Operations says the 6- to- 8-foot shark hit the surfboard and lifted it out of the water around 4:30 p.m. Thursday in Huntington State Beach.

Dispatcher Mark Herman says the behavior is considered aggressive and led to the immediate closure of the water 1 mile in each direction, affecting Newport and Huntington beaches.

Dispatcher Avery Wickham says the beaches reopened around 10:30 a.m. Friday.

Last month, a 2-mile section of Huntington Beach closed after a 5- to 8-foot shark bumped the underside of a surfer's board.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

The Associated Press

    SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

    Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast