Estimated read time: Less than a minute
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
MILAN (AP) — Italian authorities say they have cracked a neo-Fascist plot to attack immigrants and political targets, including magistrates.
An Italian general heading an anti-terrorism group, Mario Parente, told a news conference Monday that the plotters had begun recently stockpiling arms, which prompted forces that had been monitoring their activities for the last 18 months to move in. Police were executing arrest warrants against 14 suspects in central and northern Italy.
Authorities said a network of neo-Fascist groups had been organizing over social networks and had identified possible targets, including immigrants, magistrates and institutions as the Equitalia tax collection agency and the Italian railway. Some attacks were planned over the Christmas holiday.
Anti-terrorist investigators said the group aimed "to destabilize public order and the tranquility of the state."
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.