Hose failure blamed for gas that sickened soldiers

By The Associated Press | Posted - Dec. 18, 2014 at 11:21 a.m.



This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

FAIRBANKS, Alaska (AP) — Army investigators in Alaska have concluded that a corroded vent hose on a field stove led to a buildup of carbon monoxide that sickened 23 soldiers during a September exercise.

Lt. Col. Alan Brown tells the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner (http://bit.ly/1GVgjkp ) that the toxic gas came from a gas-fueled oven used to heat trays of food in a kitchen tent.

Investigators concluded the corroded hose wasn't properly connected and kept gas inside the tent.

None of the soldiers in the incident Sept. 25 near Eielson Air Force Base suffered life-threatening injuries. Nineteen were treated and released. Four showed elevated carbon monoxide levels in their blood but recovered after hospital stays.

The soldiers were part of the 4th Infantry Brigade Combat Team (Airborne), 25th Infantry Division stationed at Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson.

___

Information from: Fairbanks (Alaska) Daily News-Miner, http://www.newsminer.com

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

The Associated Press

    SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

    Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast