Man in Vegas for Electric Daisy Carnival dies

By Michelle Rindels, Associated Press | Posted - Jun. 27, 2014 at 3:11 p.m.

2 photos

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

LAS VEGAS (AP) — A 21-year-old man who came to Las Vegas for the Electric Daisy Carnival was taken to the hospital before making it to the event and later died.

Joey Saychack of Fresno, California, died at Spring Valley Hospital on Wednesday, Clark County Assistant Coroner John Fudenberg said. A cause of death hasn't been determined and isn't expected until lab reports are complete in the next four to six weeks.

Saychack was found unresponsive in a Las Vegas house he had rented with a group that was attending the rave, Fudenberg said. He was taken to the hospital on Friday.

The death is the third reported among young people in town for this year's electronic dance music festival, which drew more than 130,000 people each night and ran from Friday night to Monday morning.

Anthony Anaya, 25, from Everett, Washington, was reported dead late Saturday at the Vdara resort on the Las Vegas Strip. Anaya attended the festival, but it was unknown if his death was linked to it, Clark County Coroner Mike Murphy said.

Montgomery Tsang, 24, from San Leandro, California, died Saturday morning after being taken by ambulance from the festival to the hospital.

Authorities have not yet released his cause of death.

Nearly 800 people were treated for medical conditions during the event, but only 25 were taken to hospitals for treatment, police said. While organizers advertise a strict anti-drug policy, police arrested several dozen people on felony drug charges. Previous events have been marred by party drug-related deaths.

Officials from Electric Daisy Carnival parent company Insomniac distanced themselves from the latest reported death.

"Any loss of life is an undeniable tragedy. However, this individual never set foot inside of our event," Insomniac spokeswoman Jennifer Forkish said in a statement. "Insomniac continues to do everything possible to keep our fans safe, but at a certain point, the media needs to focus on personal responsibility/accountability and stop placing blame on the events these individuals attend, or in this case, think about attending."

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


Michelle Rindels


    Catch up on the top news and features from, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast