MWC Soccer: Cougars' Season Ends in College Station

Save Story
Leer en Español

Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

COLLEGE STATION, Tex. (Nov. 15, 2007) - The 2007 Mountain West Conference Champion No. 22 BYU women's soccer team battled No. 7 Texas in College Station, Texas, Thursday, but lost 2-0 in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

The Cougars controlled the ball much of the game and more than doubled the Longhorns shot production, 25-12. Junior forward and Mountain West Conference Championship MVP Katie Fellows led all shooters with seven shots and three on goal. BYU also won in the corner-kick category, 7-6.

"I was really proud of our girls today, and this has been a great season," BYU head coach Jennifer Rockwood said. "Our seniors did a great job, and we played very hard in the second half. It's been a good ride this season. We're all looking forward to a great year in 2008."

Texas got on the board first with a goal from freshman forward Alisha Ortiz, her second of the year, in the 11th minute of the game. BYU goalkeeper Erika Woodbury dove to make a save, but Ortiz was able to control the ball and put it in the lower right corner of the net.

Ortiz scored her second goal of the game in the 19th minute. Woodbury made a diving save, deflecting the ball and Ortiz was in the penalty area to clean it up and put the shot in the top left corner.

BYU led Texas in shots 8-6 at the half, with three coming off the foot of Fellows. Sophomore midfielder Kelsea Kakadelas also had two shots at the break.

The second half has been BYU's better half all season long. More than 12 minutes elapsed in the second half before the Cougars allowed the Longhorns to get off a shot, meanwhile BYU was able to fire four in the same amount of time.

The Cougars had a golden opportunity in the 62nd minute when freshman forward Kassidy Christensen rose up to get a head on the ball right in front of the goal. Longhorn keeper Dianna Pfenninger also jumped and the two collided. Had play resumed, the ball landed at Fellows' feet with an open goal, but the linesman raised his flag and stopped the play dead.

Christensen had another opportunity only four minutes later when the ball was played to Pfenninger, but Christensen reached it first. With a defender on her hip, Christensen was able to get a foot on the ball, but pushed past the keeper but wide right.

BYU continued to pressure the Longhorns offensively and defensively, but was unable to tally a goal. The team ended the season with a 17-4-2 record.

Thursday's game was the last for Woodbury, BYU's record-holder in saves, shutouts, and season shutouts. Also finishing distinguished careers in the blue and white were midfielder co-captain Carolyn Swenson, forward co-captain Jessica Aquino-Greenfield, midfielders Natalie Nate-Henriksen and Stephanie Staples-Portwood, and defender Ali Haymond-Harmon.

Most recent BYU Cougars stories

Related topics

BYU Cougars


From first downs to buzzer beaters, get’s top sports stories delivered to your inbox weekly.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast