This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
MONTREAL, Oct 18, 2005 (UPI via COMTEX) -- Montreal Symphony Orchestra musicians have ended a five-month strike by overwhelmingly approving a new seven-year contract.
The players Monday accepted the contract by 96 percent vote, giving them an accumulated 18.25 percent raise during the seven-year period, the Toronto Globe and Mail reported Tuesday.
The contract also loosens rules dealing with touring and recording, the newspaper said.
"It's a win-win situation for everybody," violinist Marc Beliveau, head of the players' bargaining committee, told the newspaper. "We're all set to start working again."
The musicians had been without a contract since August 2003.
Copyright 2005 by United Press International