Estimated read time: 21-22 minutes
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
Utah State press releaseUTAH STATE at #20 BYU
Friday, Oct. 2 - 7 p.m. (MT)
LaVell Edwards Stadium (64,045)
QUICKLY -- For the second week in a row, Utah State (1-2, 0-0 WAC) will tangle with an in-state foe when the Aggies travel to Provo, Utah to take on 20th-ranked Brigham Young (3-1, 1-0 MWC) on Friday, Oct. 2... Kickoff is slated for 7 p.m. MT from BYU's LaVell Edwards Stadium (64,045)... Friday's clash between the Aggies and Cougars will be televised on the Mtn. (Comcast Ch. 37 in Cache Valley).
UP NEXT -- Utah State opens Western Athletic Conference action at Las Cruces, N.M. against New Mexico State on Saturday, Oct. 10... Kickoff is slated for 6 p.m. (MT). MAKING WILLIE PROUD AND ON THE ROAD AGAIN -- The Aggies are making Willie Nelson proud by heading on the road again, marking the third time in USU's first four games of the season that the Aggies are on the road... This is the first time since 2006 that USU has played three of its first four games on the road and the 31st time overall: 2003*, 1993, 1991*, 1989*, 1988, 1987, 1986*, 1985, 1984, 1982, 1979, 1978^, 1976, 1975, 1974*, 1972*, 1967", 1966, 1962, 1960, 1958, 1956, 1954#, 1934, 1933, 1928, 1924, 1922*, 1913, 1904>
* = three-straight road games / ^ = opened at Japan / " = played four-straight away from home (three road + one neutral) / # = five-straight road games / > = eight-straight road games
BACK-TO-BACK BEEHIVE BATTLES -- After playing Southern Utah on Saturday, this will the first time since 2006 that Utah State has played back-to-back games against fellow Beehive State teams, as that season the Aggies hosted Utah on Sept. 16, then played at BYU on Sept. 23... Overall, this is the 14th time in USU's history that it has played in-state opponents in consecutive games, but just the third time that was not Utah and BYU in back-to-back games ... Seasons with consecutive games against in-state foes:
- 2006 - Sept. 16 L 0-48 vs. Utah, Sept. 23 L 0-38 at BYU
- 2000 - Sept. 30 L 14-35 vs. Utah, Oct. 6 L 14-38 at BYU
- 1999 - Sept. 18 L 18-38 at Utah, Oct. 1 L 31-31 (ot) vs. BYU
- 1985 - Nov. 2 L 7-34 at Utah, Nov. 9 L 0-44 vs. #18 BYU
- 1982 - Oct. 30 W 20-17 vs. BYU, Nov. 6 L 10-42 at Utah
- 1978 - Nov. 11 L 25-44 vs. Weber State, Nov. 25 L 20-23 vs. Utah
- 1976 - Oct. 16 W 28-17 vs. Utah, Oct. 23 L 14-45 at BYU, Nov. 6 W 36-10 vs. Weber State
- 1968 - Nov. 9 W 34-8 at BYU, Nov. 23 W 28-13 at BYU
- 1953 - Oct. 10 L 13-33 vs. Utah, Oct. 16 W 14-7 at BYU
- 1951 - Nov. 3 L 20-28 vs. Utah, Nov. 10 L 27-28 at BYU
- 1937 - Nov. 13 L 0-54 vs. BYU, Nov. 25 L 0-27 at Utah
- 1936 - Oct. 17 W 13-0 at BYU, Oct. 24 W 12-0 vs. Utah
- 1935 - Nov. 16 W 27-0 vs. BYU, Nov. 28 T 14-14 at Utah
USU VS. THE TOP 25 -- USU will be playing its 51st game all-time against a ranked team (BYU is No. 20 in this week's AP poll) and is just 1-49 against teams in the AP poll... The Aggies are 0-39 on the road vs. a top 25 team... The Aggies' lone win against a ranked team was a 20-19 upset of 25th-ranked Fresno State in 1991... Since then, USU has lost 24 straight games against ranked team... Friday marks the 18th time during the 2000's decade that USU has faced a ranked team - here is a look at those games:
- Sept. 8, 2001 - L 14-31 at #13 LSU
- Sept. 29, 2001 - L 21-38 vs #6 Oregon
- Oct. 5, 2001 - L 34-54 at #18 BYU
- Dec. 1, 2001 - L 21-70 at #21 Fresno State
- Sept. 7, 2002 - L 13-44 at #9 Nebraska
- Sept. 6, 2003 - L 7-31 at #23 Nebraska
- Sept. 18, 2004 - L 6-48 #15 Utah
- Oct. 29, 2005 - L 3-35 at #5 Alabama
- Nov. 18, 2006 - L 10-49 at #18 Boise State
- Sept. 15, 2007 - L 3-54 at #3 Oklahoma
- Oct. 6, 2007 - L 37-52 at #16 Hawai'i
- Nov. 10, 2007 - L 0-52 vs #19 Boise State
- Sept. 6, 2008 - L 24-66 at #18 Oregon
- Sept. 13, 2008 - L, 10-58 vs #22 Utah
- Oct. 3, 2008 - L, 14-34 vs #8 BYU
- Nov. 8, 2008 - L, 14-49 at #9 Boise State
- Sept. 3, 2009 - L, 17-35 at #19 Utah
USU VS. RANKED BYU -- Friday marks the 17th time that Utah State has faced BYU when the Cougars are ranked in the AP Top 25 Poll or are among others receiving votes in the poll... USU is 1-15 in the previous 16 meetings, including 0-11 when BYU is in the top 25.
USU IN NON-SATURDAY GAMES -- Utah State has lost 13 straight non-Saturday games since winning the Las Vegas Bowl against Ball State on Friday, Dec. 17, 1993... Seven of those last 15 games have been against BYU on Friday nights (all losses), with a Monday appearance in the 1997 Humanitarian Bowl (lost 33-19 to Cincinnati) and a Friday 42-33 win against Ball State in the 1993 Las Vegas Bowl.
USU VS. THE MOUNTAIN WEST -- Utah State is playing the second of two games against a member of the Mountain West Conference this season after the Aggies also played at #19 Utah (L, 17-35) on Sept. 3... This is the first time since 2004 that USU is playing only two MWC teams after playing three the last four seasons... All-time USU is 146-207-14 (.417) vs. current members of the league... USU has lost 10 straight against the MWC, as the Aggies' last win vs. a MWC team was a 31-24 win over UNLV in 2005... In its last 19 games against MWC teams, USU is 3-16... Other WAC teams playing MWC teams include San Jose State (L, 24-14 vs Utah on Sept. 12), Nevada (L, 35-20 at Colorado St. on Sept. 19; vs UNLV on Oct. 3), Idaho (W, 34-20 vs San Diego St. on Sept. 19; vs Colorado St. on Oct. 3), Hawai'i (L, 34-33 at UNLV on Sept. 19), New Mexico State (W, 20-17 at New Mexico on Sept. 26; at San Diego St., Oct. 3).
USU VS. FELLOW BEEHIVE STATE TEAMS -- The Aggies are a combined 74-120-7 (.386) vs. teams from the state of Utah, with a 28-77-4 mark vs. Utah, a 2-0 ledger against Southern Utah, a 33-42-3 mark vs. BYU and an 11-1 mark against Weber State... This is the first time since 2001 that Utah State has played three of its in-state foes in the same season, when USU played Utah, BYU and Weber State that year, a season after playing Utah, BYU and Southern Utah in the same ledger.
USU IN OCTOBER / ON OCT. 2 -- Utah State has a nine-game losing streak in October and has lost 20 of its last 23 games in the Canadian Thanksgiving month (which is on Monday, Oct. 12)... USU won its first game of the month in 2006, edging Fresno State, 13-12, on Oct. 7, but has lost nine in row in October since... Friday is the Aggies' first game on Oct. 2 since 2004 at Troy... USU is on a eight-game losing streak on Oct. 2... The Aggies are 2-8 on the road on Oct. 2 and 0-2 at a ranked opponent on Oct. 2... Friday marks the fourth time that USU and BYU have faced each other on Oct. 2, with the Cougars winning the three previous meetings... Overall, USU is 3-9-1 on Oct. 2.
USU-BYU SERIES -- BYU leads the all-time series by a 42-33-3 count... The Aggies are 15-24-1 vs. the Cougars at Provo... BYU has won nine straight since the Aggies' last victory, a 58-56 thriller at Logan in 1993... In fact the Cougars have won 19 of the last 20, 22 of the last 24 and 25 of the last 28 since USU won four straight from 1971-74. The teams are meeting in Provo for the first time since 2006.
AGGIE-COUGAR CONNECTIONS -- Utah State has several players with connections to BYU players: USU junior PK/P Peter Caldwell and BYU sophomore RB Bryan Kariya are both from Kaysville, Utah and played for Davis HS... USU junior LS Patrick Scales and BYU junior K Mitch Payne are both from North Ogden, Utah and played for Weber HS... BYU senior DL Tevita Hola went to Snow Junior College with USU junior S Joey Schrader, junior LS Dustin Akana, junior OL Preston Erickson and redshirting senior DL Casey Davis... USU sophomore RB Josh Flores, sophomore DE Junior Keiaho, sophomore WR Ben Macey, sophomore OL Tanner Richins and freshman PK Josh Thompson as well as BYU sophomore QB Riley Nelson and freshman WR JD Falslev are all Logan natives and all are Logan HS alum with the exception of Falslev, who went to Sky View HS, where he was teammates with USU sophomore DE Levi Koskan... Nelson played QB for USU as a freshman in 2006... Outside of Utah connections include USU senior WR Nnamdi Gwacham (Chino Hills, Calif./Ayala HS) and BYU sophomore DB Steven Thomas, who are both from Chino Hills, Calif., but Gwacham went to Ayala HS while Thomas went to Chino Hills HS... USU sophomore OL Robert Hill and BYU sophomore WR McKay Jacobson, who are both from Southlake, Texas and playing for Southlake Carroll HS, which posted three-straight 16-0 seasons and three state 5A titles.
BOTH SIDES OF BEEHIVE BATTLE -- BYU's namesake for its stadium, LaVell Edwards, is a 1952 Utah State alum, and was a three-year letterman at quarterback for the Aggies from 1949-51, collecting unanimous all-Skyline Six conference honors in 1950 at linebacker... Edwards was BYU's head football coach from 1972 to 2000, leading the Cougars to the 1984 national championship... Prior to Edwards' final game, the football stadium at Brigham Young University was renamed LaVell Edwards Stadium in his honor.
UTAH STATE-BYU BY THE NUMBERS -- A closer look at note-ables about Friday's match-up between the Aggies and Cougars:
- 0 Players with the name of Provo on USU's roster.
- 1 Players with the name of Logan on BYU's roster - junior DB Brian Logan.
- 1 USU coach with ties to BYU (QB coach Kevin McGiven was grad. asst./WR's at BYU in 2002-03 and QB coach in 2004).
- 2 Players from Logan on BYU's roster (freshman WR JD Falslev and sophomore QB Riley Nelson).
- 2 Players from Provo on USU's roster (sophomore WR Austin Alder and sophomore OL Funaki Asisi).
- 9 USU's consecutive losses to BYU.
- 33 Players from the state of Utah on Utah State's roster.
- 46 Players from the state of Utah on BYU's roster.
- 76 Number of times USU and BYU have played entering Friday.
- 127 Miles from USU's Romney Stadium to BYU's LaVell Edwards Stadium.
- 1922 First year USU and BYU played football.
USU BESTS VS. BYU -- Here is a look at some of the top USU statistical individual performances against the Cougars over the years: Anthony Calvillo threw for 472 yards in 1993 (third best in USU history)... Bob Gagliano threw for 358 yards in 1980 (now 24th best)... Aaron Jones had 195 receiving yards in 1999 and Nakia Jenkins had 194 yards in 1997... James Samuel had a 73-yard run in 2002... Jeff Crosbie hit Aaron Jones on an 87-yard pass in 1999... Tom Larscheid returned a kickoff 102 yards in 1960... Rusty Carlsen had a 70-yard punt in 1989... Brad Bohn kicked a 55-yard field goal in 1999, the fifth-longest in school history.
AGGIE-COUGAR NOTE-ABLE -- Utah State's 33 wins against BYU are its second most against any opponent, behind only the Aggies' 34 victories against Wyoming... The USU-BYU series is the second-most played in USU history as this week's 77th meeting trails only USU's 109 games played against Utah... USU and BYU began their series in 1922 and have played every year except 1943, 1944, 1945, 1995, 1998, 2003, 2004 and 2005... USU has scored at least 30 points in four of the last seven losses in this series.
BYU VS. IN-STATE FOES -- The Cougars have a combined 74-83-4 against teams from the Beehive state, with a 42-33-3 mark vs. Utah State, a 30-50-4 record against Utah, 2-0 vs. Weber State and have not ever played Southern Utah nor Dixie State.
USU-BYU LAST TIME AT PROVO - Sept. 23, 2006 BRIGHAM YOUNG 38, UTAH STATE 0
at LaVell Edwards Stadium, Provo, Utah
Utah State's football team was shutout for the third straight game as the Aggies lost 38-0 at in-state rival BYU on Sept. 23, 2006. Marcus Cross led the USU offensive effort rushing for 127 yards and catching five passes for 38 yards. He became the first Aggie to record two 100-yard rushing games in a season since 2003. He also became the first USU player to lead the team in rushing and receiving yards in the same game since wide receiver Kevin Robinson led in both categories against San Jose State in the fourth game of last year. USU's defense was led by sophomore transfer Derrick Cumbee, who in his first collegiate start, recorded a game-high 11 tackles. BYU scored on each of its first four possessions to take a 24-0 lead midway through the second quarter. The Cougars added a touchdown in the third quarter on an interception return and then posted another score on its final drive of the day. USU reached the red zone twice in the game, but came away without a score both times. The Aggies produced 242 yards of offense, but allowed the Cougars 441 on the day. USU owned the time of possession advantage holding the ball for 34:10 to BYU's 25:50, but USU averaged just 3.5 yards per play while BYU gained 7.1 per attempt.
LB Derrick Cumbee made his first career start and recorded a game-high 11 tackles in the contest... DT Kerry Shepherd made his first career start in place of the injured Frank Maile... Leon Jackson recorded season long 59 and 54-yard punts... TB Marcus Cross' 29-yard run in the third quarter was the longest rush by the Aggies this season (previous long was 16 yards by Cross at Arkansas)... USU was shutout for the third straight game marking the first time the Aggies have been scoreless in three consecutive contests since 1937.
UTAH STATE-BYU LAST TIME --
#8 BYU 34, UTAH STATE 14
Oct. 3, 2008 • Logan, Utah • Romney Stadium
GAME FIVE RECAPLOGAN, Utah - Utah State outscored No. 8 Brigham Young 14-10 in the second half. However the Aggies were down 24-0 at halftime and lost to the Cougars in a closer than the score reflects contest, 34-14, on Oct. 3 at a packed and rowdy Romney Stadium. USU slides to 1-4 on the year while BYU improves to 5-0 overall, extending the nation's longest winning streak to 15 in a row. Aggie redshirt freshman running back Robert Turbin led USU for the second game in a row on the ground with 74 yards on eight carries. Sophomore quarterback Diondre Borel added 40 yards rushing to go with 10-of-15 passing for 114 yards and one TD, a five-yard strike to redshirt freshman tight end Tarren Lloyd for his first career TD catches. Senior wide receiver Otis Nelson had 72 yards on six receptions. Defensively, the senior tandem of linebacker Jake Hutton and linebacker/safety De'von Hall led USU with a game-high 10 tackles each while junior cornerback Kejon Murphy and fellow cornerback, senior Roy Hurst had an interception each. Murphy's came in the endzone to thwart a BYU drive after the Cougars took over at the USU 20 following an Aggie fumble. After BYU scored on its first offensive series of the game, the Aggies then coughed up three costly turnovers in the first quarter. USU's two fumbles and one interception were converted into 17 more points by BYU for a 24-0 first quarter lead. Neither team scored in the second quarter and the Cougars tacked on 10 points in the third quarter before the Aggies rallied with 14 fourth-quarter points. Turbin scored on a 40-yard running, spinning dash to cap a seven-play, 80-yard drive with 13:47 left in the game. After the Aggie defense held the Cougars to a three-and-out, Borel led USU's march down the field and capped the drive by hitting Lloyd in the back of the endzone. Utah State attempted an onside kick following the score but could not recover. At the end of BYU's ensuing drive, redshirt freshman defensive end Junior Keiaho burst through the line and blocked the field goal attempt. The Aggies drove to the BYU 7-yard line, but could not get the ball in the endzone before the game ended.
ABOUT BYU -- Despite beating Colorado State, 42-23, on Saturday to improve to 3-1 on the season, BYU dropped one spot in the AP Poll to No. 20... The Cougars are led by senior QB Max Hall, who has already topped the 1,000 passing yard mark with 1,185 in four games (296.2 ypg) on 88-of-130 passing (67.7 pct) with an even TD-INT ratio of eight and eight... Senior TE Dennis Pitta has been Hall's main target with 21 catches for 256 yards (12.2 ypc) with one TD... Sophomore WR McKay Jacobson has 11 catches for a team-leading 280 yards (team-best 25.5 ypc) with a team-high three TD's... On the ground, junior RB Harvey Unga has 35 carries for 227 yards (6.5 ypc) with four TD's while sophomore RB Bryan Kariya has 34 carries for 120 yards (3.5 ypc) with one TD... Defensively, BYU is led by junior DB Brandon Bradley with 24 tackles while fellow junior DB's Brian Logan and Andrew Rich have 21 stops each... Logan has a team-high two interceptions to go with a team-best seven pass break-ups... Senior DE Vic So'oto has a team-leading four tackles for loss.
LAST GAME NOTES -- Southern Utah at Utah State - Sept. 26, 2009 - Logan, Utah
- Saturday was senior LB Paul Igboeli's 35th-consecutive start and 35th career start... Igboeli leads USU in both... Senior S James Brindley is second in career starts, making his 24th on Saturday, while junior OL Spencer Johnson is third with 22 career starts... Junior QB Diondre Borel made his 12th-straight start, ranking second for consecutive starts.
- Utah State's scored on its opening scoring drive for the fourth game in a row, dating back to last year's final game.
- The 29-yard TD pass from sophomore WR Stanley Morrison to sophomore RB Robert Turbin in the first quarter was the first non-QB TD pass since RB David Fiefia's 18-yard TD toss to QB Jose Fuentes on Oct. 21, 2000 vs. Idaho.
- Sophomore RB Robert Turbin has now scored a rushing TD in five-straight games and six of the last seven... Turbin has scored a TD in seven-straight games overall, tallying a TD catch in the lone game that he did not score a rushing TD.
- Junior QB Diondre Borel's first-quarter 54-yard TD pass to junior RB Michael Smith was Borel's second-career longest TD pass behind a 62-yarder last season (in Hawai'i game to Nnamdi Gwacham), until the 77-yard TD toss to Turbin in the second-quarter became his new career-high.
- It was Smith's first career TD and his longest reception.
- Borel completed his first five pass attempts and USU completed its first six attempts with the pass from Morrison to Turbin.
- USU's 14 points in the second quarter give the Aggies' double-digit scoring in the first quarter in all three games this season and five-straight games dating back to the last two games of last year. Those were the only two games that USU tallied double-digit scoring in the first stanza and the Aggies were held scoreless in the first two games of last year and the first six of the first seven games of the season.
- Junior P Peter Caldwell's 58-yard punt in the second quarter was his second career long, matching a 58-yarder vs. Boise State in 2007 and behind his career-long of 60-yards, done twice last season in back-to-back games (at Nevada and vs. Fresno State).
- Turbin now has three scoring plays of over 50 yards this season (77-yard TD catch Saturday, 50-yard TD run at Texas A&M and 96-yard yard TD run at Utah).
- Turbin's 77-yard TD catch is a new career-long and was exactly three-times longer than his previous career-long of 29 yards (at Boise State last season).
- Turbin has a rushing and receiving TD in the same game for the second time in his career (vs. Hawai'i last season.)
- USU's 31 first-half points were the most points scored by the Aggies since Oct. 25, 2003 when USU scored 35 points in the first half on the way to a 49-0 win over Arkansas State.
- Turbin's 108 receiving yards make him the first USU running back in school history with a 100-yard receiving outing since Aggie legendary running back Emmett White (134 yards on seven catches at New Mexico State on Nov. 4, 2000, part of his then-NCAA record-setting 578 all-purpose yards).
- Smith's 40-yard TD rush was his first career rushing TD.
- Senior S James Brindley snagged his eighth career interception, leaving him two shy of USU's career record list, as five players are currently tied for seventh with 10 career oskies.
- USU's 53 points are its most scored since 56 vs. Weber State on Nov. 17, 2001.
- With his 104 yards, Turbin becomes the first USU running back with three-straight 100-yard outings since Emmett White's three in a row (vs. UConn, Weber State and South Florida).
- Turbin (17 carries, 104 yards) and Smith (8-100) became the first USU running back tandem to both rush for 100 yards since 1989 when Demetrius Brown (22-131) and Brett Payne (28-166) both did so.
- Turbin became the first USU RB with 100-yards rushing and receiving since Emmett White did so on Nov. 4, 2000, with 322 rushing and 134 receiving, part of his then-NCAA record-setting 578 all-purpose yards.
- Borel is the first USU QB to have back-to-back 300-yard passing outings since Jose Fuentes in 2002 (vs. New Mexico, at La-Monroe).
- USU's 604 yards of total offense (with a balanced 302 in each half) was the most since 684 vs. Weber State on Nov. 17, 2001.
- The 604 yards of total offense is No. 9 on USU's single-game total offense list.
- USU is now 2-0 all-time vs. Southern Utah (W 30-14, Sept. 9, 2000 at Logan).
- The Aggies are now 76-17-6 (.798) vs. FCS (formerly I-AA) opponents, winning the last four in a row.
- USU won its first home-opener since 2005, snapping a three-game home-opening losing streak... The Aggies are now 8-12 in their last 20 home-openers.
- The Aggies won their Homecoming game for the first time since 2006 (13-12 over Fresno State) and USU is now 49-28-2 (.632) all-time on Homecoming.
- USU head coach Gary Andersen became the third-straight Aggie football coach to win his home-opener.
TURBO TURBIN JOINING ELITE COMPANY -- With his career-high 148 yards vs. Utah, sophomore running back Robert Turbin logged his second-career 100-yard outing, joining the 123 total vs. Idaho last season as a freshman... Turbin became the seventh Aggie running back to post 100 yards as a freshman... However, he joined rare company with his 100-yard outing as a sophomore, becoming just the fourth Aggie to do so... The other three: Demario Brown (4,053 yards), Abu Wilson (3,933) and Rick Parros (3,537), are numbers 1-2-3 on USU's career rushing list, respectively.
USU's FRESHMAN 100-YARD RUSHERS SINCE 1976: Rick Parros (1976), Travis Clark (1986), Abu Wilson (1992), Demario Brown (1996), John Roberts (1998), Jerod Walker (2005), Robert Turbin (2008).
USU's FRESHMAN/SOPHOMORE 100-YARD RUSHERS SINCE 1976: Rick Parros (1976-77), Abu Wilson (1992-94*), Demario Brown (1996-97), Robert Turbin (2008-09).
* - Wilson redshirted in 1993 with injury
BOREL CLOSING IN ON SCHOOL RECORD -- Junior quarterback Diondre Borel's 48 rushing yards vs. Utah, 34 at Texas A&M and 29 vs. Southern Utah give him 743 yards (215 att.) for his career, closing in on the USU career record for rushing yards by a quarterback of 814 yards held by Leon Jackson III (355 att., 2004-07).
Rushing Yards by a Quarterback:
Game: 121, Tony Adams (12 attempts) vs. Colorado State, 1972
93, Diondre Borel (12 attempts) vs. Idaho, 2008
Season: 632, Diondre Borel (179 att.), 2008
Career: 814, Leon Jackson III (355 att.), 2004-07
743, Diondre Borel (215 att.), 2008-pres.
HEAD COACH COACHING POSITION -- In addition to his head coaching duties, USU head coach Gary Andersen is also the position coach for the defensive tackles... Andersen is one of six Division I (FBS) coaches doing so:
- Ball State Stan Parrish Quarterbacks
- Colorado Dan Hawkins Receivers
- Kent State Doug Martin Quarterbacks
- Nevada Chris Ault Quarterbacks
- San Diego State Brady Hoke Defensive Line
- UTAH STATE Gary Andersen Defensive Tackles
DOUBLE-DIGIT TACKLERS -- With James Brindley's 14 tackles and sophomore linebacker Bobby Wagner's career-high 12 stops in the season-opener at Utah and Wagner's 13 tackles at Texas A&M, Utah State has had at least one defender post double-digit tackles in five-straight games and the 22 times in the last 26 games dating back to last season... It was the ninth time during those 26 games that USU had two players with double-digit tackle totals.
OH CAPTAIN, MY CAPTAIN -- Utah State football head coach Gary Andersen announced the Aggies' 2009 captains, after a vote by the team... All three of the defensive captains are seniors, while the offensive captains consist of a senior, a junior and a sophomore... Representing the defense will be the senior trio of safety James Brindley, linebacker Paul Igboeli and cornerback Kejon Murphy... The offensive captains are senior center Brennan McFadden, junior quarterback Diondre Borel and sophomore running back Robert Turbin.