News / Utah / 

Iron County Sheriff's Office

Officials: 2 arrested in Cedar City after man says they tied him up, beat him with hammer

By Jacob Klopfenstein, | Posted - Apr 15th, 2018 @ 8:26pm

4 photos

Show 1 more video

CEDAR CITY — A man and woman were arrested Sunday in connection with a St. George aggravated assault case after a man told police they tied him up and beat him with a hammer.

Sasha Michelle Davis, 20, and Kade Robert Shearer, 21, were arrested Sunday and booked into Purgatory Correctional Facility in Hurricane.

They were being held for investigation of felony aggravated assault, robbery and kidnapping, as well as misdemeanor making threats against a life and tampering with evidence, according to an emailed statement from Washington County Sheriff’s Office Lt. David Crouse. Their cash-only bail was set at $50,000, Crouse said.

Davis, of St. George, and Shearer, of Hurricane, were arrested near 600 W. 1450 North in Cedar City after a four-hour search Sunday that included air support and K-9 patrols, Iron County Sheriff’s Office Lt. Del Schlosser said in an emailed statement.

A 40-year-old St. George man told police that on Saturday evening, Davis had invited him to an area outside St. George known as Turkey Farm Road, Crouse said. St. George Police later met the man about 10:41 p.m. at Dixie Regional Medical Center, where he reported the assault.

The man had driven to the Turkey Farm Road area with another friend. When he arrived in the area, he met with Davis in a remote location, according to Crouse. He planned to meet with Davis to engage in “intimate relations,” Crouse said.

After he met with Davis, Shearer appeared and started assaulting the man with a hammer, the man told police. The man also said Davis had used a stun gun on him and tried to tie him up, Crouse said.

Davis and Shearer were arrested shortly after noon Sunday in Cedar City. An Iron County deputy found a car that was believed to belong to the two about 8:15 a.m. Sunday south of Newcastle, Schlosser said.

Officials then got information that Davis and Shearer were in Cedar City, and Southern Utah University’s aviation program was dispatched to help search for them.

Law enforcement officials were then able to locate another car that was previously associated with Davis and Shearer.

They spoke with the driver of the car near 600 W. 1450 North and discovered that Davis and Shearer were hiding in a residence nearby, according to Schlosser.

Officials set up a containment in the area and then entered the residence.

Davis and Shearer refused to comply with deputies, and Shearer tried to run away, but both were taken into custody, Schlosser said. They were transported to Washington County.

After interviewing Davis and Shearer, detectives determined that the incident was likely premeditated, Crouse said. Shearer may have hidden in the trunk of a car and waited for the victim to be alone with Davis before the alleged assault, Crouse said.

Detectives also believe the pair may have taken the man’s cell phone and wallet and planned to destroy evidence, Crouse said. They also may have used the man’s stolen credit cards at a Cedar City Walmart, according to Crouse.

The investigation is ongoing and the pair may yet face more charges, Crouse said.

Multiple agencies assisted with the arrests, including Utah Highway Patrol, Iron County Sheriff’s Office, Cedar City Police, Adult Probation and Parole, Cedar Communications and SUU Aviation, Schlosser said.

Editor's note: Officials initially said Davis and Shearer were arrested for investigation of attempted murder, but later said they were arrested for investigation of other charges. This story has been updated to include that clarification.


Jacob Klopfenstein

KSL Weather Forecast