Estimated read time: 1-2 minutes


PROVO — The man accused of killing Charlie Kirk at Utah Valley University in September made an appearance in court Monday morning for a preliminary hearing. Tyler Robinson appeared in court via an audio feed from the Utah County Jail in Spanish Fork for what's called a waiver hearing. Robinson did not personally address the court during the proceedings, but his defense team spoke on his behalf. Fourth District Court Judge Tony Graf also took the time to set expectations during this trial; he said he expects Robinson to appear in person from here on out and that the courtroom would be a fair and civil place where Robinson would be able to work with his defense team.Defense Attorney Kathryn Nester was assigned to Robinson's case just last week. She told the court today that her team does not intend to waive a preliminary hearing, meaning they intend to pursue a trial instead of settling with the state prosecution out of court. Graf told the court that Robinson's constitutional rights would be upheld during this process, and he would be presumed innocent until proven guilty. Graf also said that the proceedings would be open to the public, "Neither Mr. Robinson nor the people of Utah deserve anything less than the fair and impartial administration of justice."Graf set the next hearing for Oct. 30 and said he expects Robinson to attend in person. The prosecution has made it clear that they will seek the death penalty in this case. Robinson is charged with seven counts, including aggravated murder and illegally discharging a firearm.









