News / Utah / 

Woman detained, missing 4-month-old baby found unharmed after Amber Alert

Woman detained, missing 4-month-old baby found unharmed after Amber Alert

(Cedar City Police Department)

Estimated read time: 1-2 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

CEDAR CITY — Police have canceled the Amber Alert for a woman and a 4-month-old baby after taking the woman into custody at the Denver airport on Saturday. The infant was not harmed.

The alert was issued Saturday morning and was canceled just after 1:30 p.m. In a news release, Cedar City police explained the circumstances surrounding the case. They said a woman called police Friday night saying her babysitter had not returned her three children.

The babysitter, 31-year-old Emily Marissa Luciano, was allowed to keep the children overnight and return them in the morning. Instead, police say, she dropped off the two older children, ages 5 and 1, with a third party — then took off for Denver with a 4-month-old infant, Peyton Everett Caraballo-Winston.

"This was done without the mother's knowledge or permission," the release says.

The two older children were located and safely returned to their mother. But the infant was determined to be in "imminent danger," and an Amber Alert was issued.

"Investigating officers were able to communicate through text message and telephone conversation with Mrs. Luciano," the release says, "however, she consistently provided deceitful and inconsistent statements to officers and was not cooperative with the investigation."

Officers worked with the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children and the FBI to find Luciano. She and the infant were located at the Denver International Airport and Luciano was detained.

Luciano is currently in FBI custody, and the infant is in the care of FBI Victim Services while plans are made to reunite the baby with the mother.

"We are thankful for the collaboration and great working partnerships of the many agencies who assisted with this investigation," the release says.

The baby was initially described as being 5 months old, but officials later clarified that he is 4 months old.

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics

Jen Riess is the weekend and evening content producer for She also covers breaking news and in her free time loves being with her dogs and cheering on the Cleveland Browns.
Graham Dudley reports on politics, breaking news and more for A native Texan, Graham's work has previously appeared in the Brownwood (Texas) Bulletin and The Oklahoma Daily.


Catch up on the top news and features from, sent weekly.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast