SPANISH FORK, Utah (AP) — Officials have temporarily closed a beach in northern Utah due to dangerous levels of toxic algal blooms in the water.
The Utah County Health Department announced a danger advisory for Lincoln Beach on the west side of Utah Lake on Thursday.
Authorities said crews observed clumps of bright green cyanobacteria with a cottage cheese consistency and dead fish in the water earlier this week. Tests showed the algal blooms had high toxin levels.
Harmful algal blooms can cause rashes, respiratory problems, stomach aches and other issues. They can also poison animals.
Officials are warning residents not to swim or go boating in the lake and keep pets away from the water.
Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.