News / Utah / 

Mom of slain Ogden teen speaks out for first time

(Mike Anderson, KSL TV)

3 photos

Show 1 more video

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

OGDEN — Eighteen-year-old Kameron Johnson would have usually been in school on a weekday afternoon. Instead, he was at home in bed.

“Had he not stayed home from school, sick with the flu, he would be with us today,” Kameron’s uncle, Greg Johnson said. “(He) never got into any trouble. That’s why it’s devastating. This kid who never caused no harm to anyone, his life is just tragically taken.”

Police said sometime Monday, 23-year-old Theron Farmer entered the family’s home at 862 W. Lake St. and shots were fired.

Veronica Johnson said her son Kameron Johnson was shot three times, once in the head, and her 20-year-old son, Eric Johnson Jr., was shot four times. She said Eric Johnson told her Farmer and another man took their cellphones and left him for dead.

“He laid on the floor for two hours; bleeding and waiting for my husband to get home,” Veronica Johnson said. “It’s meant to be. He survived. Because if he didn’t survive, we wouldn’t have known who done this.”

Eric Johnson came out of the intensive care unit at McKay-Dee Hospital Monday afternoon and is expected to recover. Veronica Johnson said Kameron Johnson would have graduated from Ben Lomond High School in June. She said he looked forward to going to college, with dreams of becoming a sports trainer and buying a Ford Mustang.

“It’s just really sad that he’s not going to be able to do that. He was a great kid,” she said.

Veronica Johnson said Farmer was a friend of Eric Johnson, and that he apparently came over Monday claiming he just wanted to hang out.

“(Eric) didn’t know it was going to happen,” Veronica Johnson said. “And he knew Theron for a long time, maybe six to seven years. And he’s the one that came in and ordered the other guy to shoot them.”

Ogden police arrested Farmer Tuesday, after a SWAT team deployed gas at a Layton apartment. Detectives said they are still looking for one more suspect.

“They’re great kids, and they didn’t deserve this.” Veronica Johnson said. “They did not deserve this, especially Kameron.”


Related Stories

Mike Anderson


Catch up on the top news and features from, sent weekly.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast