Disney, ABC sue FCC over threats to broadcast licenses

Disney and ABC sued the Federal Communications Commission on Tuesday to ​block an early review of licenses, arguing the Trump administration is punishing the network over broadcast content.

Disney and ABC sued the Federal Communications Commission on Tuesday to ​block an early review of licenses, arguing the Trump administration is punishing the network over broadcast content. (Kylie Cooper, Reuters)


Save Story
KEY TAKEAWAYS
  • Disney and ABC sued the Federal Communications Communications to block early license reviews for eight stations.
  • They argue the Trump administration is retaliating against ABC's broadcast content.
  • The lawsuit also claims First Amendment violations after FCC Chair Brendan Carr ordered early reviews in April.

WASHINGTON — Disney and its ABC unit sued the Federal Communications Commission on Tuesday to ​block an early review of licenses for eight ABC stations, arguing the Trump administration is trying to punish the network over its broadcast content.

President Donald Trump has ‌repeatedly urged broadcasters to drop comedy or news programs he dislikes or which have been critical, pressing the FCC on ⁠numerous occasions to revoke ABC's licenses.

In a ​lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in ⁠Washington, Disney said the FCC was seeking to coerce and retaliate against "a network that refuses ‌to bow to the ‌administration's demands."

Disney and ABC asked the court to quickly issue a temporary restraining ⁠order halting the license renewal proceedings and preventing the ⁠FCC from scheduling a hearing. The company said the public comment period ended earlier this month and the FCC could act at any time.

The lawsuit alleges the administration is violating the company's First Amendment free speech rights.

"Again and again, the administration has attacked ABC's speech — the stories its journalists report and the viewpoints its network programs air," ‌the lawsuit said.

The White House did not immediately comment.

FCC Chair ​Brendan Carr, who did not immediately comment Tuesday, ordered the reviews in April even though the stations' license renewals were not scheduled to be considered before October 2028. The FCC had not ordered an early review in more than 50 years before April.

The reviews were ordered a day after Trump urged ABC to fire late-night host Jimmy Kimmel.

Broadcast stations need FCC licenses to use public airwaves. While license revocations are extremely rare, ​critics say the threat of losing a license can pressure broadcasters and raise concerns about government interference ‌in editorial and ‌programming decisions. Networks ⁠have broad First Amendment protections over programming choices.

Trump called in November for the FCC to revoke ABC's licenses after he criticized an ABC News correspondent for asking Saudi Arabia's crown prince about the 2018 killing of a Washington Post columnist, in a question he described as "insubordinate."

The ‌FCC is also investigating ABC ​daytime talk show "The View," which discusses politics, after ‌saying it may be subject ⁠to federal rules ​requiring broadcasters to provide equal opportunities to political candidates.

The Key Takeaways for this article were generated with the assistance of large language models and reviewed by our editorial team. The article, itself, is solely human-written.

Most recent Business stories

Related topics

David Shepardson

    STAY IN THE KNOW

    Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the KSL.com Trending 5.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Notice.
    Newsletter Signup

    KSL Weather Forecast

    KSL Weather Forecast
    Play button