AROUND THE SHIELD — Chris Wilcox's time on the waiver wire came to a short end Wednesday morning.
The Indianapolis Colts claimed former BYU cornerback Chris Wilcox off waivers a day after he was released by Tampa Bay. The Buccaneers drafted the former Cougar standout in the seventh round of April's NFL draft.
In a corresponding move, the Colts also added cornerback Thakarius Keyes from Kansas City and waived safety Andre Chachere and cornerback Marvell Tell III to get to roster compliance on the 53-man roster.
The 6-foot-2, 195-pound Wilcox participated in the Buccaneers' entire offseason program and training camp before being cut for Tuesday's league-wide cutdown day.
Wilcox started 26 of 41 games during five years at BYU, compiling 88 tackles, three tackles for loss and eight pass breakups for the Cougars, including 18 tackles in nine games during his 11-1 senior season for the 11th-ranked Cougars.
Wilcox is one of 54 players on an active NFL roster in the National Football League following the league's cutdown day Tuesday. But they aren't the only ones being paid by a team.
Former BYU tight end Matt Bushman and former Utah offensive lineman Jeremiah Poutasi won't be leaving Las Vegas, after the Raiders made the duo part of their initial practice squad, according to ESPN's Paul Gutierrez. The move means a little more to Poutasi, who is from Las Vegas and prepped at nearby Desert Pines High School prior to enrolling at the U.
Similarly, former Utah State linebacker Tipa Galea'i won't be straying far from Green Bay, nor will former Weber State guard Sua Opeta from Philadelphia or BYU product Corbin Kaufusi from San Francisco.
Here's an updating list of practice-squad additions involving former Utah high school and college football standouts from around the league. Check back later as new additions are formalized.
- Sua Opeta, OG, Weber State/Stansbury (signed with Eagles)
- Matt Bushman, TE, BYU (signed with Raiders)
- Jeremiah Poutasi, OL, Utah (signed with Raiders)
- Tipa Galea'i, LB, Utah State (signed with Packers)
- Bronson Kaufusi, TE, BYU/Timpview (signed with Packers)
- Porter Gustin, DE, Salem Hills (signed with Browns)
- JoJo Natson, WR, Utah State (signed with Browns)
- Darrin Paulo, OT, Utah (signed with Lions)
- Jared Norris, LB, Utah (signed with Washington)
- Kylie Fitts, LB, Utah (signed with Cardinals)
- Corbin Kaufusi, OL, BYU/Timpview (signed with 49ers)
- Troy Warner, CB, BYU (signed with Buccaneers, per USA Today)
- Zayne Anderson, CB/S, BYU/Stansbury (signed with Chiefs, per Kansas City Star's Sam McDowell)
- Jackson Barton, OT, Utah/Brighton (signed with Giants)
- Darwin Thompson, RB, Utah State (signed with Buccaneers, per McDowell)