Sister of Kearns kidnapping victim recalls last chilling phone call with her sister

Save Story
Leer en español

Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

KEARNS — Saturday marks one week since a Kearns woman went missing. KSL TV spoke with her younger sister about the chilling phone call Nicole Solorio-Romero made as she was being kidnapped just a few feet from her home.

Julianna believes her sister was lured out of her home as she tried to escape the kidnappers.

"She was crying, she was scared," said Julianna Bersamin.

Julianna was one of the last people to speak with Nicole.

"My sister had called me, I answered it, and she was crying and saying that there was three men that were threatening her with a gun and to get out of the house," said Julianna.

Terrified, Julianna told Nicole help was on the way.

The sisters shared a basement apartment on 5400 South in Kearns.

Julianna was at the mall, while Nicole was home alone.

"They were threatening her with a gun to get out of the house, basically kicking her out," said Nicole's younger sister.

Julianna said Nicole then made two more calls to their cousin asking for a ride.

"My cousin told me that she sounded scared, and that she said, 'I'm OK, but who called the cops? Don't call the cops,' but she sounded shaken up."

At some point, Juliana thinks the 25-year-old walked to the corner on 5400 South and Nez Perce Drive to wait for their cousin.

"My sister had said, 'I'm at the corner,' or my sister told her to go to the corner," said Julianna.

That's where home surveillance video caught the kidnappers forcing her into a green Toyota Camry at about 2:28 p.m.

"I was scared for her," said her sister. "I had no idea why this was happening."

By the time Julianna and her cousin arrived, Nicole had vanished.

"That's the last thing I heard from her because when I had gone back to the house, there was no trace of her at all," said Julianna. "My cousin drove around the block looking for her. I looked inside the house, we couldn't find her."

Police suspect Nicole was taken to a second location where she was shot and badly injured.

On Saturday, their investigation expanded to hospitals in neighboring states.

Nicole's family said they aren't giving up until she is found.

"I'm staying positive, I'm hoping for the best," said Julianna. "I know my sister is still live, I can just feel it.

A team of violent crimes detectives are working around the clock to find her. They suspect the kidnappers could be heading to Wyoming.

Anyone with information has been asked to contact Unified Police at 801-743-7000.

Related stories

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics

Garna Mejia


Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the Trending 5.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast