LEHI — A 19-year-old man died Monday night after police say he was struck by two vehicles on a highway in Lehi.
The man, whose identity has not been released, was suffering a mental health crisis and was "involved in an altercation with his father at his residence in Lehi and fled the home," according to a statement from the Utah Highway Patrol.
Troopers say the man's father was able to convince his son to get into his truck and begin to drive him to the hospital. As they were driving on Pioneer Crossing, the man jumped from the truck "and sustained head and arm injuries, but was not incapacitated."
The man's father was able to again secure his son in the truck, only to have him run back onto the road, where he was struck by two vehicles on a southbound onramp of Pioneer Crossing. Police say he suffered fatal injuries from the impact.
If you or someone you know is struggling with thoughts of suicide, call the suicide prevention hotline at 1-800-273-TALK.
- Utah County Crisis Line: 801-691-5433
- Salt Lake County/UNI Crisis Line: 801-587-3000
- Wasatch Mental Health Crisis Line: 801-373-7393
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
- Trevor Project Hotline for LGBTQ teens: 1-866-488-7386