News / Utah / 

Vernal elementary school briefly evacuated due to carbon monoxide alarm



Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

SALT LAKE CITY — A Vernal elementary school was briefly evacuated Thursday morning after a carbon monoxide alarm went off, Uintah School District officials said.

Ashley Elementary School, located at 350 N. 1150 West, was evacuated when the alarm went off, the district posted on Facebook shortly before 9:50 a.m.

Fire crews responded to the school and detected carbon monoxide in the school's kitchen area, according to Uintah School District student services director Julie Wilde. The area was closed off to allow crews to investigate where the gas was coming from.

Carbon monoxide wasn't detected elsewhere in the school, and crews allowed students and faculty to return after it was cleared, the district posted at 10:20 a.m. Officials said students will eat their lunches in their classrooms while crews investigate the school's kitchen.

The district said students and staff were safe during the brief evacuation. They were temporarily taken to Uintah Middle School, which is located near the elementary school.

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics

Utah
Carter Williams is an award-winning reporter who covers general news, outdoors, history and sports for KSL.com. He previously worked for the Deseret News. He is a Utah transplant by the way of Rochester, New York.

SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast