This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
ST. GEORGE — The attic of the St. George Tabernacle caught fire caught fire when it was struck by lightning Thursday.
Construction crews working on a renovation saw the strike, said St. George Fire Chief Robert Stoker. They evacuated and no injuries were reported.
Smoke was coming from the south side of the steeple when crews arrived, Stoker said. Teams got to the attic without a problem, but had to pull down ceilings to fight the blaze, he said.
The building sustained damage to its attic and roof.
Fire crews say other parts of town were struck by lightning Thursday.