News / Utah / 

UVU student accidentally fires gun at food court

UVU student accidentally fires gun at food court

(File photo)



This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

OREM — A student sitting near a Taco Bell on campus reached into his backpack and fired a gun in the bag by mistake Tuesday, Utah Valley University reported.

The blast went off about 2:30 p.m. in a popular food court. The bullet hit a table and a light near the Jamba Juice and Taco Bell, but did not strike anyone, said UVU spokesman Layton Shumway.

Campus police responded to a report of a shot in the dining area between the Physical Education and Liberal Arts buildings.

The student had a valid concealed carry permit, Shumway said. Utah law allows people with the license to carry firearms at the state's public colleges.

UVU is not releasing the student's name, and university police are investigating, Shumway said. UVU police did not immediately return a message left Wednesday afternoon.

In 2015, a gun accidentally went off in a firearm training course at UVU and grazed a student's chest in the education building. He had surgery for an injury police said was minor.

Related Stories

Annie Knox

    SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

    Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast