Fire Sparked when Backhoe Struck Metal

Fire Sparked when Backhoe Struck Metal

Save Story
Leer en espaƱol

Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

(KSL News) A backhoe operator digging a sewer line got a little more than he expected.

Flames started shooting out of a gas line after he accidentally dug into it. Sparks from metal banging on metal ignited the gas into a full-blown fire.

The operator was digging in a new residential area in Grantsville. When firefighters got there all they could do was call the gas company and let it burn itself out.

Lance Marshall, Grantsville Fire Chief, said, "It was a little more different because we had a two-way feed on this line. So we had to dig holes on both ends, and different things, and get the backhoe off the line. It was still on the line as it was burning."

The operator had some minor burns on his arms but is o.k.

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics



Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the Trending 5.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast