Stove Started Fatal Avenues Fire

Stove Started Fatal Avenues Fire

Save Story
Leer en EspaƱol

Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

(KSL News) -- Fire investigators believe a stove sparked the apartment fire a block from Temple Square.

32- year-old Jason Lanham was probably cooking something on the stovetop in his basement apartment. Crews believe he forgot about the food, and it started a fire.

Stove Started Fatal Avenues Fire

Other residents smelled smoke around 5:00pm Thursday afternoon, and called for help.

Dennis McKone/Salt Lake City Fire Department: "Time factor was in our favor, five o'clock instead of five o'clock in the morning. If it was five o'clock in the morning, it would have been a worse fire with more fatalities."

Lanham didn't get out in time. Firefighters say he died from carbon monoxide poising, or smoke inhalation.

Related links

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics



Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the Trending 5.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast