Fire seen in Salt Lake ruled accidental

8 photos
Save Story

Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

SALT LAKE CITY -- A fire broke out just before noon Tuesday at a mechanic shop on Salt Lake's west side. The billowing smoke could be seen all over the valley.

Fire investigators say a semi truck caught fire inside a garage near the vicinity of 1200 South and 3600 West. They say the semi's driver parked the truck in the garage, and walked outside. Somehow the engine sparked, causing the fire.

Originally, 911 callers reported hearing explosions, so hazmat crews were called in to help. Now, firefighters say that exploding sound was the tires popping.

No one was hurt during the two-alarm blaze, and crews were able to quickly put the fire out.

"It looked like it was quite a big fire. When our crews got here, they found heavy fire coming from the front bay of this motor shop," said Mark Bednarik, spokesman for the Salt Lake City Fire Department.

The truck that burned is used to collect garbage from restaurants around the valley. The company's employees declined comment.

The fire has been ruled accidental and is estimated to have caused $100,000 in damage.

There were no injuries.



Most recent Utah stories

Related topics

Jennifer Stagg


    Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the Trending 5.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast