3-year-old dies from injuries in Ogden pileup

1 photo
Save Story
Leer en español

Estimated read time: 3-4 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

OGDEN — A 3-year-old girl has died from her injuries after a crash that temporarily closed the freeway Wednesday morning.

Just before 5 a.m., a series of pileup crashes happened on Interstate 15 northbound, near 21st Street, in Ogden. The crashes included nine or 10 vehicles that caused multiple injuries and blocked traffic lanes.

In one of the more serious crashes, a Hyundai passenger car lost control to the left, hit the center concrete barrier and came to rest facing the wrong way, Utah Highway Patrol troopers said. A PT Cruiser then overcorrected to avoid the Hyundai, but hit the center barrier and came to rest sideways, blocking traffic.

Other vehicles were unable to avoid the stopped vehicles. A 3-year-old girl in the PT Cruiser was taken to a local hospital with critical injuries, along with one adult who also sustained serious injuries but did not appear to be life-threatening, troopers said.

I-15 northbound remained closed until about 7 a.m. The crash was one of about 50 that occurred by noon on Wednesday, most of which were weather-related, UHP Sgt. Cameron Roden confirmed.

KSL-TV Reporter Shara Park said she and a photojournalist were one of the first vehicles to arrive at the scene. She and KSL-TV chief photographer John Wilson jumped out and ran up to the crashed vehicles, "and immediately, somebody yelled, 'There's a child in the back,'" Park said.

"So while John was trying to open the door on one side, I jumped through the window in the smashed-in door on one side, and this little 3-year-old was struggling to breathe. And so I held her neck up while she was struggling to breathe, and was trying to calm mom down," Park recalled, her voice breaking.

"And you could tell there was just panic all around," she said.

Many bystanders jumped in to help, Park said, before first responders soon showed up.

Park said she shared the story "because it was terrifying on all accounts, on all levels, not knowing if another car was going to smash into us while we're trying to help this child."

"And so I share this with you simply as a reminder to slow down this morning. Did not expect that, did not expect to be in the middle of that," Park said, adding that she was still in shock.

Commuters across northern Utah faced a slick commute, with multiple crashes and slide-offs reported.

Little Cottonwood Canyon was closed for avalanche control. Chains, 4x4 or traction devices were required for all vehicles on eastbound I-80 through Parleys Canyon. A backcountry avalanche warning is in effect from 6 a.m. Wednesday for 24 hours.

Scattered snow showers were expected to continue along the Wasatch Front throughout the day, with temperatures reaching the middle to upper 30s and possibly a rain-snow mix at valley floors.

Get the complete forecast at the KSL Weather Page and check commute times at the KSL Traffic Center.

Contributing: Linda Williams


Most recent Utah stories

Related topics

Weber CountyUtah weatherUtah police and courtsUtahPolice & Courts
Ashley Imlay is an evening news manager for KSL.com. A lifelong Utahn, Ashley has also worked as a reporter for the Deseret News and is a graduate of Dixie State University.


Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the KSL.com Trending 5.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast