News / Utah / 

Man arrested in weekend murder case attacked 2 people with metal pipe, police say

Man arrested in weekend murder case attacked 2 people with metal pipe, police say

(Salt Lake police)

Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

SALT LAKE CITY — A man with a history of assault was arrested over the weekend and accused of attacking two people with a metal pipe, killing one and severely injuring the other.

Nathaniel Joseph Kenyon, 42, of Salt Lake City, was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail on Sunday for investigation of aggravated murder and aggravated assault.

On Saturday, Salt Lake police were called to 338 W. Hansen Ave. on a report of a deceased man. The victim, Kevin Hettich, 51, was found with obvious trauma to his head, according to a police affidavit.

Investigators collected surveillance video from the area and located images of Kenyon carrying a metal object on the same street where the victim was found, the affidavit states. While searching for surveillance video, police said they discovered Kenyon was involved in another attack a short distance away that happened prior to the killing.

A man was sleeping on a porch when he was approached by Kenyon and beaten with a metal pipe, according to the affidavit.

"The victim suffered trauma to his head that required staples as well as a possible broken arm," officers wrote in the report.

Police issued a statement Saturday asking for the public's help in locating Kenyon. They said he should be considered "armed and dangerous." Kenyon was located on Sunday and arrested.

When interviewed by police, Kenyon allegedly claimed he was acting in self-defense in both cases. In the fatal assault, he "admitted to killing the victim and being proud of it," the affidavit states. "Nathaniel also admitted to dragging the victim out of the road because he did not want him to die in the road."

Officers noted that Kenyon was "previously served with an involuntary psychiatric hold." But he was moved to the jail after allegedly assaulting a health care worker.

According to a police affidavit, he punched a nurse at University of Utah Hospital because he wanted a drink of water. He was taken to the Salt Lake County Jail early Tuesday and released later that afternoon due to overcrowding, according to jail records.

On Dec. 29, Kenyon was arrested for punching another health care worker at University of Utah Hospital because "he kept drawing my blood," a police affidavit states. He was charged in Salt Lake Justice Court for that incident with assault, a class B misdemeanor.

He was charged again with assault, a class B misdemeanor, in South Salt Lake Justice Court in another case on March 9, and also on Nov. 30 in Salt Lake Justice Court, according to court records.

Related stories

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics

Pat Reavy is a longtime police and courts reporter. He joined the team in 2021 after many years of reporting for the Deseret News


Catch up on the top news and features from, sent weekly.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast