Estimated read time: Less than a minute
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
An explosion inside a boiler room at the Little America Hotel sends two workers to the hospital, but officials say they’re expected to fully recover.
The explosion happened in a residential portion of the hotel on the east side of the complex, next to Main Street. Salt Lake Fire Capt. Tony Stowe said two people were doing some work on the boiler when something went wrong.
“It appears, at this time, it may have had an over-pressurization problem causing injuries to the two individuals who were inside,” he said.
Both of them had to be rushed to the hospital. One had significant burns and respiratory problems because of the steam. Luckily, the building had already been cleared out and guests were moved out before the repairs had even started, so no one else was hurt.
“Due to their low occupancy, they were able to evacuate that whole building because they anticipated the outage from the service,” Stowe said.
Hazmat crews were also sent due to the explosion causing damage to a nearby natural gas line; some of that gas leaked.