Charges: Utah man had unlawful sex with 2 teens, 1 at a Cub Scouts camp

Charges: Utah man had unlawful sex with 2 teens, 1 at a Cub Scouts camp

(Zolnierek, Shutterstock)


1 photo
Save Story

Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

OGDEN — A North Ogden man charged with having unlawful sex with two 15-year-old girls, including one at a Cub Scouts camp where he was a counselor and allegedly gave the girl Ecstasy, has been served with no contact orders.

Paul Richard Protzman, 23, is charged with 16 felonies in two separate cases in 2nd District Court.

In one case, he is charged with drug distribution, a second-degree felony, plus unlawful sexual activity with a minor and dealing in harmful materials to a minor, third-degree felonies.

In the other case, he is charged with 10 counts of unlawful sex with a minor and three counts of dealing in harmful materials to a minor, all third-degree felonies.

Protzman was ordered by a judge this week to have no contact with the two 15-year-old girls or their families pending the outcome of his court proceedings, according to court records.

In one case, Protzman is accused of taking a girl east of Huntsville to Camp Kiesel, where he had been a camp counselor, and made a copy of the master key without permission, according to charging documents. Police say Protzman gave the victim a pill, later determined to be Ecstasy, before engaging in sexual activity with her.

"Paul gave (the girl) a blue pill that he produced from the center console of his vehicle and told (her) it would make her feel better and help her congested sinuses," according to a search warrant affidavit. "(The girl) recalled being in buildings at Camp Kiesel as well as running toward the BB gun range to get away from Paul. (She) lost consciousness in Paul's truck and regained consciousness in Ogden City wearing only her underclothes of a tank top and shorts."

After the alleged assault, Protzman sent the girl several threatening emails stating, "Rumors need to be silenced, or he will silence them himself," charging documents state. Other messages from Protzman stated he "isn't going to jail or be on the list," the charge state.

On Jan. 10 — the day Protzman had allegedly threatened to kill himself — police found him with a handgun and two magazines, according to the charges.

Protzman told police he had sex with the other girl more than 20 times between June and November of 2018 in multiple locations around Weber County, the charges state.

Bail in one case was set at $60,000 and $20,000 in the other. His next scheduled court hearing for both cases is set for Feb. 25.

Photos

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics

Pat Reavy, KSLPat Reavy
Pat Reavy interned with KSL in 1989 and has been a full-time journalist for either KSL or Deseret News since 1991. For the past 25 years, he has worked primarily the cops and courts beat.

STAY IN THE KNOW

Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the KSL.com Trending 5.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
Newsletter Signup

KSL Weather Forecast

KSL Weather Forecast
Play button