News / Utah / 

Unified Fire Authority

Officials: Juvenile playing with fireworks caused Herriman fire

By Jacob Klopfenstein, | Updated - Sep. 15, 2018 at 7:18 p.m. | Posted - Sep. 15, 2018 at 2:52 p.m.

4 photos

Show 2 more videos

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

HERRIMAN — Two homes and a shed have been destroyed after a field fire started in Herriman on Saturday afternoon, officials said.

Evacuations have been lifted in the area, officials said. The fire was 90 percent contained as of 6:20 p.m., according to Salt Lake County Emergency Management officials.

A juvenile was arrested on Saturday evening in connection with the fire, officials said. The juvenile allegedly set off a smoke bomb firework that started the blaze, according to Unified fire officials.

No other information about the arrest was immediately available.

The fire was first reported about 1:50 p.m. Saturday near Shaggy Mountain Road in Herriman, officials said on Twitter. It was still spreading rapidly as of 3:45 p.m. due to winds of up to 50 miles per hour, officials said.

The fire burned more than 100 acres, officials said. As of 7 p.m., 700 people were out of power due to the blaze, officials said.

One firefighter and four police officers were treated for smoke inhalation and heat exhaustion during the firefight, officials said. The firefighter was transported to a hospital as a precaution with minor injuries.

Earlier Saturday, the High Country Estates phase 1 subdivision was evacuated, officials said.

Evacuees were sent to Butterfield Canyon Elementary School, 6860 W. Mary Leizan Lane, Unified police officials said. People were able to bring livestock to Butterfield Park.

More fire coverage:

Contributing: Caitlin Burchill


Jacob Klopfenstein

KSL Weather Forecast