This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
SPANISH FORK — Anyone who ate, drank or used the restroom at Sonic Drive-In or Olive Garden in Spanish Fork on certain days in December may have been exposed to hepatitis A, health officials warn.
Those at risk visited Sonic on North Main Street on Dec. 23 or 24, or Olive Garden on North Canyon Creek Parkway anytime from Dec. 21-30, the Utah County Health Department said in a prepared statement Tuesday evening.
The department is making vaccinations available to those who may have been exposed to the disease, and urges people to visit its website or call 801-851- HEPA to determine if they need treatment.
An infected employee was working at those locations at the time, the department said. It warns that symptoms don't show up immediately and it is important to get a vaccine as soon as possible.
The department said the cases are linked to an ongoing outbreak in Utah County and other parts of the state since August. It added that both restaurants are cooperating with its investigation.
More on the local outbreak
Anyone who has hepatitis A and works in food service must stay home until the department clears them, according to the statement.
The exposure is a reminder that food workers should stay home when they're sick and that restaurants should enforce hand-washing policies, said Ralph Clegg, health department executive director.
He encouraged businesses that serve food to vaccinate employees.
Symptoms of hepatitis A include nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, yellowing of the eyes or skin, dark urine, diarrhea, clay-colored stools and fatigue.