News / Utah / 

Sixth-grader brings pot brownies to school, students get sick

Sixth-grader brings pot brownies to school, students get sick

(Google Street View)



This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

SALT LAKE CITY — At least three children became sick after being given brownies laced with marijuana by a sixth-grade student at Lincoln Elementary School.

On Thursday, a girl brought the pot brownies to the school, 1090 S. Roberta St. (240 East), said Salt Lake City School District spokesman Jason Olsen. The girl then either sold or gave them to seven students before school on the playground, he said.

All of the students involved knew they were either distributing or receiving pot brownies, Olsen said. Whether the brownies were being sold or freely passed out was still under investigation Friday.

During the course of the school day, at least one of those students ate his brownie and became sick. His parents picked him up from school and took him to the hospital, where he tested positive for THC in his system, said Salt Lake police detective Greg Wilking.

A second student took his brownies home and shared them with an older sibling. Both he and his 15-year-old sister became sick and were taken to a local hospital, Wilking said.

On Friday, parents went to the school and informed administrators what had happened. School district officials then called police.

Wilking said detectives have talked to the girl who they say took the brownies to school. Where she got the marijuana or whether she made the brownies herself was still under investigation.

Police searched the girl's locker at school and found more brownies. She will be referred to juvenile court, Wilking said.

The school sent out a letter to parents Friday explaining what had happened.

"This is an isolated incident. We feel very sorry for those students who got sick on this. But this might be a great opportunity for parents to sit down with their students and talk about the dangers of drug use," Olsen said.

Pat Reavy

    SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

    Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast