News / Utah / 

Glenn Jakins

Standoff ends; man dies at hospital

By Andrew Adams | Posted - Sep. 25, 2014 at 11:59 p.m.

8 photos

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

LINDON — A man was killed by a self-inflicted gunshot wound following a seven-hour standoff, police said.

Early Thursday afternoon, police responded to an incident in which a 36-year-old Saratoga Springs man with a gun was making suicidal threats from inside of a vehicle. He was not threatening others, dispatch said.

The man had been fired from his job, Lindon police said. But they said they do not know what the factors were that could have contributed to this situation.

Suicide prevention resources
  • Suicide Prevention Hotline 1-800-273-TALK
  • Utah County Crisis Line: 801-226-4433
  • Wasatch Mental Health Crisis Line: 801-373-7393
  • National Crisis Line: 1-800-784-2433
  • Trevor Project Hotline for LGBTQ teens: 1- 866-488-7386

SWAT and emergency responders on scene negotiated with the man by telephone. Chief Cody Cullimore of Lindon Police Department said they had three people on the line "just so somebody would have the answer's this individual needed."

Around 8 p.m., the standoff ended after the man fired a round from the gun.

"SWAT operators dispersed tear gas through the back window to try to get him out of the vehicle," Cullimore said. "Immediately following that, the individual shot himself once with a handgun."

Cullimore said they went to great lengths to try and help the man. They placed the SWAT van next to his car and they asked the man's wife to talk to him. Additionally, after the gun went off, responders rushed to the car to give medical attention. He later died at the hospital.

"Our goal here today was to try to get him into a situation where we weren't worried about his life or anyone else'." Cullimore said. "I really think, tragically, he had made that decision already in his mind."

The incident blocked off about five business entrances near 1250 West and 300 South in Lindon, and kept about 100 employees of those businesses inside. Arete Gymnastics canceled classes for the evening due to the standoff.

Further details were immediately unclear.


Andrew Adams


    Catch up on the top news and features from, sent weekly.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast