Estimated read time: Less than a minute
This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.
(KSL News) A home workshop in Lindon exploded today, but luckily it was the only building destroyed.
It happened near 400 East and 200 North.
Mike Anderson was grinding metal just inside his workshop and stepped out to answer the phone. A spark surpassed a welding screen, caught some sawdust on fire and ignited nearby tanks of gasoline.
That's when a neighbor noticed a small fire in the corner of the building. Anderson says, "I had just put three full cans of gas in there. I went in to pull one out and realized the flame was on the gas can, backed off and put three hoses on it and tried to contain it until the fire department got here."
The gas tanks, as well as some propane tanks, ignited.
Jackie Jones caught the results on home video. Amazingly, no other structures were seriously damaged.
The explosion caused more than $300,000 worth of damage.