Check Furnaces to Help Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Check Furnaces to Help Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Save Story
Leer en espaƱol

Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

(KSL News) A family treated and released for carbon monoxide poisoning Sunday shared their story today, warning that as temperatures start to drop, it's time to check the furnace.

Jennifer Morrison woke up with a severe headache and found her grandfather passed out on the floor. When emergency crews arrived they found elevated levels of carbon monoxide in the home. The source is believed to be the furnace.

Dr. Lin Weaver of LDS Hospital, where the family was treated, says that carbon monoxide poisoning is 100 percent preventable.

Dr. Lin Weaver/ LDS Hospital: "It's important to have the furnace inspected annually. And really every household needs a carbon monoxide alarm."

Although Jennifer and her grandparents have recovered, Dr. Weaver said this incident could have been fatal.

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics



Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the Trending 5.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast