SALT LAKE CITY — Utah health officials issued a public health order on Tuesday that allows hospitals and physicians to resume some elective surgeries.
The new guidelines go into effect on Wednesday and come as a result of reduced COVID-19 hospitalizations.
“I would like to express my gratitude to Utah’s medical providers for their understanding and willingness to postpone procedures in order to conserve equipment, medications and hospital space,” Gov. Gary Herbert said in a news release. “While we are not out of the woods yet, we also understand that many of the procedures that have been postponed are medically necessary.”
The new order is an update to a March 23 health order that suspended elective procedures.
Some Utah hospitals had already postponed elective surgeries before the state’s health order in preparation for a surge in COVID-19 patients.
Procedures must abide by the guidelines outlined by Utah Hospital Association and the Utah Department of Health.
“At this time, we believe we can cautiously resume certain procedures,” Herbert said.