No charges for man in San Francisco dismembered body case


Save Story
Leer en español

Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — There is not enough evidence to charge a man arrested in connection with a dismembered body found inside a suitcase in San Francisco and he is set to be released Tuesday, prosecutors said.

The city District Attorney's office said in a statement there isn't enough evidence to charge Mark Andrus, 54, with murder.

"Until we have the evidence necessary to prove this case beyond a reasonable doubt, we are ethically obligated to hold off on charging this suspect," said Alex Bastian, a spokesman with the San Francisco District Attorney's office.

Prosecutors say the medical examiner has yet to determine a cause of death or identify the victim.

Andrus was taken into custody Friday at an apartment in downtown San Francisco after police received a tip on his whereabouts.

He had been considered a person of interest since a suitcase stuffed with human remains was found in the South of Market area last Wednesday. More body parts were found in a trash can nearby.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Most recent U.S. stories

Related topics

U.S.
The Associated Press

    STAY IN THE KNOW

    Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the KSL.com Trending 5.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast