Sports / Utah Jazz / 

Laura Seitz, KSL

Vivint Arena cleared after suspicious package is determined to be a toolbox

By Ryan Miller, | Updated - Nov. 23, 2019 at 12:20 a.m. | Posted - Nov. 22, 2019 at 10:24 p.m.

1 photo

SALT LAKE CITY — Vivint Arena has been cleared after bomb technicians determined a suspicious package was a toolbox that had been left behind.

The package caused the arena to be evacuated minutes after the Utah Jazz-Golden State Warriors game had wrapped up.

"The bomb technicians came, responded and determined the suspicious item was a toolbox," Lt. Carlos Valencia of the Salt Lake City Police Department said. "Nothing hazardous, just a toolbox."

At around 9:30 p.m., Valencia said he received a call from an officer inside the arena letting him know of a package that was left under a table on the main concourse of the arena.

That area was then closed off and a police K-9 at the arena got a positive hit on the box.

That led to evacuation for patrons, staff and players.

"Guest safety is the top priority at Vivint Smart Home Arena," Jazz officials said in a statement just before midnight Friday. "At the conclusion of the Utah Jazz-Golden State game, an employee noticed an unattended package on the main concourse. Upon further examination, it was concluded that we would enact our emergency action plan. Security was promptly alerted and guests were diverted away from the area and cleared from the arena. Salt Lake City Police Department assumed control of the situation, executing its suspicious package protocol."

After the game, a team security guard walked around the Utah Jazz locker room, telling each player to get ready to go. Some players weren't dressed, others hadn’t even showered, but soon they were walking out of the building together.

Based on the police K-9 giving a positive hit on the package, bomb technicians were brought in.

“Based on the information, we need to proceed further and have our technicians come out here and render the device safe,” Valencia said during the evacuation.

Jazz players, team staff, media members and arena staff were ushered into the players' parking lot on the south side of the building. After a few minutes of mingling there, security members informed everyone there they would have to leave the parking lot as well as the entire arena plaza being evacuated.

The arena was cleared at 11:32 p.m.

"We would like to thank fans for their attention and cooperation, as well as the Salt Lake City Police Department for their responsiveness and partnership," the Jazz statement said.


Ryan Miller

KSL Weather Forecast