Fire chief: Gas leak caused home explosion that injured 2

Save Story

Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

CHARLES TOWN, W.Va. (AP) — A fire chief says a house explosion and fire that injured two people at a West Virginia home were caused by a gas leak.

Citizens Fire Department Chief Larry Herbst told The Journal that an HVAC technician working in the Charles Town home and another person were injured in Monday's blast, which destroyed the residence. Officials say the injuries weren't life-threatening.

Herbst wasn't sure if the second person was a resident of the home or another worker.

Witnesses told WTTG-TV in Washington that the homeowners had problems with their propane furnace on Sunday.

Citizens Fire Department safety officer Ed Hannon said the source of the gas leak is being investigated.

Copyright © The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Most recent U.S. stories

Related topics

The Associated Press


    Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the Trending 5.
    By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

    KSL Weather Forecast