Greek death raises worry of winter impact on poor



Estimated read time: 1-2 minutes

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

THESSALONIKI, Greece (AP) - Greek authorities say a 13-year-old girl has died after inhaling fumes from a wood-burning stove her mother was using to heat the home after its electricity was disconnected.

The case has raised concern about poor families' ability to cope with the encroaching winter.

Police said Monday that the girl, of Serbian origin, died late Sunday night in the northern city of Thessaloniki . Neighbors said the 54-year-old mother had struggled financially and electricity to her apartment had been cut several months ago.

To qualify for international rescue loans, Greece has for the last three years been making tough spending cuts and tax increases, causing an increase in poverty. Thousands no longer have heating in their homes, unable to afford heating oil or high electricity bills.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast