AMERICAN FORK — An 8-year-old boy pulled from the American Fork River Wednesday night has died.
He is the fourth child to drown in Utah's waterways in the past two weeks.
Jayson Robert Corporon of Tooele apparently fell in the water near Tibble Fork Reservoir around 8 p.m. when a 911 call came from the Timpanogos Cave visitors center, according to the Utah County Sheriff's Office.
"We don't know exactly how Jayson fell into the water," said Utah County Sheriff's Lt. Yvette Rice. "Its one of those really unfortunate, tragic accidents."
Jayson's mother jumped into the river, trying to rescue him. But the swift water and extremely cold water temperature prevented her from helping her son.
"She became distressed very quickly too, and a bystander helped pull her out of the water only about 100 yards from where she actually jumped in," Rice said.
Jayson was last seen floating down the river. He was located around 9:30 p.m.
"There was actually an off-duty Lone Peak officer that responded and was able to visually locate him, and was able to guide in search and rescue personnel to find Jayson," Rice said.
Jayson was transported to a local hospital, where he later died.
The water temperature was 46 degrees and the river was running swift at a level too deep for someone that young to stand in, sheriff's officials said.
The child's mother was treated for hypothermia, but is expected to recover.
The boy and his family had been in a day-use area at the time.
Utah's unusual spring weather has contributed to several drownings:
- Donaven Lopez, a 2-year-old Riverton boy, was taken off of life support Wednesday, a day after he climbed through a hole in a fence and fell into a canal.
- Nathan Daniel Ellison, 13, died Tuesday after being pulled from the Provo River on Saturday. He had been floating down the river on an inflatable mattress.
- Vince Larsen, 2, of Woodland Hills, died on May 29 after he fell into Starvation Creek near his home.
- Arizona native Shirley Palmer, 73, died June 1 while kayaking on the Green River.
- Richard J. Valenzuela, 4, of Santaquin, died April 16 after being found floating face down in Utah Lake. He had been fishing with his family the day before.
- The body of Ryan Bishop, 21, of New Hampshire, was found April 28 in Lake Powell. He had been canoeing with friends near the Bullfrog Marina when their canoes capsized.
Meanwhile, funeral plans for Jayson Corporon are still being finalized.
We're sorry, currently this live video stream is only available inside of Utah or an approved RSL broadcast territory.
We base your location on your IP address. Some providers IP addresses may show your location outside of the state, even though you are physically within the state boundaries. For more information about RSL on KSL, please see our FAQ.