News / Utah / 

Fire Forces Residents Out of South Salt Lake Home

Fire Forces Residents Out of South Salt Lake Home



Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

(KSL News) Five people are displaced this morning, forced from their home because of a fire. Police say the fire started late last night in the basement unit of a tri-plex at 240 East 2300 South.

The fire started when heat from a space heater ignited some towels. A child tried to put the fire out by putting another towel on top, but that just caused the fire to spread.

It spread through the walls and started coming into the upstairs apartment.

Crews managed to contain the fire to one room.

The house does have a number of fire code violations, and the residents will not be able to move back in until they are fixed.

Red Cross helped the residents find places to sleep for the night.

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics

Utah

SIGN UP FOR THE KSL.COM NEWSLETTER

Catch up on the top news and features from KSL.com, sent weekly.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast