Electrical Equipment Started Strip Mall Fire

Electrical Equipment Started Strip Mall Fire

Save Story
Leer en espaƱol

Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- Electrical equipment on the floor of a shoe repair shop started the fire that destroyed seven businesses on Monday, the fire department said.

The city fire department has classified the fire as accidental, and Fire Marshal Dan Andrus said there were no fire code violations in the shop, Best Shoe Repair, at 500 East and South Temple.

The fire started on the floor and spread up the wall through several layers of false ceiling, and its intense heat damaged an adjacent apartment building, Andrus said.

Two people were treated for minor injuries and released at the scene. The fire caused $2 million in damage.

The seven businesses will receive city assistance to move, Mayor Rocky Anderson said.

(Copyright 2003 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics



Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the KSL.com Trending 5.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast