Estimated read time: Less than a minute
KSL NewsFirefighters have had their hands full this weekend with several small grass fires.
A passing train sparked a blaze at the Point of the Mountain late last night that scorched several acres. It also ignited a couple of power poles, cutting electricity to a few dozen residents.Crews were out this morning trying to restore power.
Despite how busy they've been, firefighters say they were prepared.
Capt. Fitzgerald Petersen/Salt Lake Co. Fire Dept., "WHAT WE GEARED UP FOR WAS WHAT WE NORMALLY HAVE THIS TIME OF YEAR. THE MONTH OF JULY RELATED TO GRASS AND FIREWORKS IS VERY HIGH, ALWAYS VERY HIGH."
Several of the fires throughout Salt Lake County are still under investigation. Officials say it is possible they were started by people incorrectly using legal fireworks, or setting off illegal ones. Either way they could end up getting fined for the cost of fighting the blaze.