Portable Toilets Ignite Landfill Fire

Portable Toilets Ignite Landfill Fire

Save Story

Estimated read time: Less than a minute

This archived news story is available only for your personal, non-commercial use. Information in the story may be outdated or superseded by additional information. Reading or replaying the story in its archived form does not constitute a republication of the story.

(Salt Lake City-AP) -- A small blaze broke out at a part of Salt Lake County landfill that takes the waste of portable toilets.

The fire broke out about six Saturday evening and burned about 250 square feet of sawdust and dirt.

Fire spokesman Dennis McKone blamed the spontaneous blaze on methane gas from the Port-a-Potties.

The fire burned sawdust and dirt that covers the waste.

Fire crews used a foam repellent and covered hot spots with more dirt.

(Copyright 2003 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Most recent Utah stories

Related topics



Get informative articles and interesting stories delivered to your inbox weekly. Subscribe to the KSL.com Trending 5.
By subscribing, you acknowledge and agree to KSL.com's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

KSL Weather Forecast